Wisdom teeth are the last teeth to develop and are located in the back of your mouth, behind your second molars.
What are the benefits of wisdom teeth extractions?
- Decreased risk of inflammation and infections. Wisdom teeth frequently become impacted or stuck behind the second molars. This makes it difficult to brush in the area. As a result, oral hygiene suffers, leading to plaque buildup, inflammation, infections, decay, gum disease and potential loss of the second molars.
- Decreased risks of cysts and damage to jaw and adjacent teeth. Cysts or tumours may form around impacted wisdom teeth. These lesions can cause damage to adjacent teeth, your jaw bone or anatomic structures.
- Decreased potential for teeth crowding. The pressure from erupting wisdom teeth may result in crowding of your other teeth and as a result, affect the alignment of your teeth.
- An oral exam is completed and a panoramic x-ray is taken. This will help evaluate the position of your wisdom teeth and determine whether their extraction is necessary. Your provider will discuss the risks and benefits of extraction of your wisdom teeth and perform a sedation consultation.
- Patients can chose whether or not to have their wisdom teeth extractions done under IV sedation, oral sedation and laughing gas, or just with local anesthetic and no sedation.
- We highly recommend patients be sedated prior to wisdom teeth extractions. Most patients opt for sedation, and do not remember anything from their surgery visit.
- After sedation starts, your upper and lower jaw will be anesthetized, the wisdom teeth will be removed, and the area of extraction will be sutured. Patients will recover from sedation in our clinic, then go home with their escort (any person over the age of 18 that can safely drive patient home after the procedure and care for the patient for the first few hours after surgery).
- Your wisdom teeth procedure typically takes about 90 minutes. This includes time for administration of local anesthetic, IV sedatives, and recovery from sedation.
Compassionate hygienists and dentists with glowing reviews.
We partner with major insurers to get you the best care possible. No insurance? No problem, we offer payment plans and can even help with financing.