What is TMJ disease?
- When the TMJ is not functioning properly, patients can have a tremendous amount of pain.
- Facial or jaw pain in the chewing muscles or jaw joint is a common symptom of TMJ disease.
- The tissues behind the joint have many nerves that run through them. If they are inflamed, any pressure will cause pain and worsen your TMJ.
What are the benefits of TMJ therapy?
- To allow proper joint recovery and prevent TMJ disease from recurring.
- Your SmileCrafters Dental® practitioner may recommend an occlusal splint (bite guard) to treat your pain. This custom-made plastic device fits over the upper or lower teeth and is used to control the interaction between the top and bottom teeth, maintaining the joint in a healthy position.
- Impressions of your upper and lower jaw are taken and are used to create an occlusal splint (bite guard).
- This protects the teeth from harmful habits and supports the TMJ muscles used in chewing.
How can I request an appointment?