What is sedation dentistry?
- At SmileCrafters Dental™, we understand that many people experience fear and anxiety when they visit the dentist.
- This fear and anxiety can prevent many people from getting the necessary dental treatment in a comfortable fashion.
- Don’t let dental anxiety keep you from regular dental care any longer! If you or someone you know has a high level of anxiety about visiting the dentist, hates needles, hates the noises and smells associated with a dental office, or are ashamed or embarrassed by their teeth, they may be a candidate for sleep or sedation dentistry.
What is the benefit of sedation dentistry?
- Sedation dentistry will allow you to remain calm, relaxed and comfortable during any dental procedure you may need.
- Depending on the level of sedation dentistry you choose, you will have very little or no memory of the treatment provided.
SmileCrafters DentalTM Sedation Dentistry Solutions
- Nitrous oxide (laughing gas): to reduce your stress, help suppress your gag reflex, and make you enjoy your dental treatment. You can drive yourself home after your procedure.
- Oral sedation (pill, with or without laughing gas): twilight-like sleep. Make sure there is someone to accompany you to your dental visit and drive you home after. Please make arrangement so you have the first 24 hours after sedation to rest and avoid driving, operating heavy machinery or making financial decisions.
- Intravenous (IV) sedation: sleep-like state. Patients are consciously sleeping, breathing on their own, and able to response to verbal commands. Patients will remember very little to nothing from their dental visit. It is our most comfortable sedation modality for the very anxious patient. We typically use IV sedation for all wisdom teeth extractions, dental implants, complicated extractions, and sinus lifts.
Oral sedation and/or nitrous oxide (laughing gas):
- Pre-operative vitals will be checked.
- You will be given sedation medication (in pill form).
- Once you are completely relaxed and comfortable, nitrous oxide (laughing gas) will be administered and only then we will begin your dental treatment.
- While you are resting comfortably with a warm and cozy blanket, your sedation medication will be administered intravenously.
- Upon completion of treatment, you will be monitored in our recovery room. When you are fully oriented, you will be ready to have your companion escort you home where you can relax for the rest of the day.
- Prior to any treatment under moderate sedation, you will be seen for a pre-op consultation to check your vitals, assess your health status and determine if you are a candidate for IV sedation.
- You will be extensively monitored throughout the procedure to ensure your safety and well-being.
How can I request an appointment?
- If dental anxiety is preventing you from good oral hygiene, or if you have any questions about dental sedation, call SmileCrafters DentalTM at 905 648 0550 to book your FREE sedation consultation.