What is pocket reduction treatment?
- Moderate to severe gum disease (periodontitis) can result in deep pockets forming around your teeth.
- When the pockets get deeper, bacteria have a larger space to live in. This results in more bacterial growth, and further gum and bone loss. If too much support (gum and bone) is lost, the teeth may need to be extracted.
- Pocket reduction surgery is done when pockets are too deep to clean with daily at-home oral hygiene or an in-office cleaning with your dental provider.
What are the benefits of pocket reduction surgery?
- Reducing pocket depths and eliminating bacteria can improve your chances of saving any already compromised teeth.
- Reduce your chance of more bone and gum loss.
- Improve your overall health.
- The gum tissue is folded back and the disease-causing bacteria is removed.
- The bone architecture is contoured to promote a healthier environment, and the gum is sutured back in place.
- This allows for the gum to reattach to healthy bone, ultimately decreasing the space where bacteria can grow and cause ongoing damage to teeth.
How can I request an appointment?
- Call SmileCrafters DentalTM at 905 648 0550 to find out how you can benefit from pocket reduction surgery and to book your FREE periodontal consultation.