What is a gummy smile?
- Does your gummy smile concern you? Or embarrass you? Maybe we can help!
- A smile is considered a gummy when the appearance of the upper teeth is overshadowed by an excessive amount of gum tissue.
- Sometimes, a gummy smile can be unaesthetic as the upper front teeth appear too short compared to the amount of gums displayed.
What causes a gummy smile?
- Hypermobile upper lip. This is when your upper lip rises higher than normal due to a very strong muscle pull.
- Abnormal eruption of teeth. This could be delayed active or delayed passive eruption.
- Skeletal deformity. Excessive size of the maxilla (in vertical dimension).
What are your treatment options?
- Botox injection for hypermobile lip.
- Esthetic anterior crown lengthening for abnormal eruption patterns.
- Surgical lip repositioning.
- Your gummy smile treatment depends on your diagnosis.
SmileCrafters Dental® Surgical Interventions:
Anterior crown lengthening
- Local anesthesia will be given. Precise measurements of the final desired length of your teeth will be made and the tissue will be sculpted in a minimally invasive fashion to create a more beautiful and harmonious smile with less gum displayed.
Surgical lip repositioning
- Local anesthesia will be given. The extent of the surgical site will be marked. A small incision will be made and a minimal amount of tissue will be removed. Sutures are placed. Healing can now commence. The goal of the procedure is to limit the retraction of the lip elevator muscles, thereby reduces the gummy display.
How can I request an appointment?