What are dental implants?
- Implants are made of titanium or ceramic. They are surgically placed in your jaw where needed, to support and retain a tooth, bridge or denture.
- In certain cases, teeth need to be extracted due to large cavities, severe fractures or gum disease. Dental implants are one way to replace missing teeth and restore ideal function.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
- Preserve your bone and prolong your youthful appearance.
- Tooth loss can result in the loss of bone height and width in your jaw. This not only compromises the area for a future dental restoration, but also affects the shape of your face.
- Loss of teeth can result in the shifting of adjacent teeth, over-eruption of opposing teeth and bite collapse.
- Confidence and comfort.
- Implants do not move while you are eating or speaking, unlike many dentures.
- Eat better, taste your food more! Be able to chew all the foods you crave, and taste your food without having a denture covering the roof of your mouth.
- Healthier neighbouring teeth.
- Implants, unlike dental bridges, do not require the adjacent teeth to be drilled to accommodate a restoration.
SmileCrafters DentalTM Dental Implant Solutions
- Single tooth implants. Dental implant replaces a single tooth without sacrificing the health of neighbouring teeth.
- Multiple tooth implants. If you are missing several teeth, implant-supported bridges can replace them. Dental implants will replace both your lost natural teeth and some of the roots.
- Full mouth implants (implant dentures). If you are missing all of your teeth, an implant-supported full bridge or full denture can replace them. Dental implants will replace both your lost natural teeth and some of the roots. In many cases, 4-6 implants on your upper jaw and 4-6 implants on your lower jaw can be enough to support your bridge or denture.
- Before implant procedure, your SmileCrafters DentalTM surgeon will take a complete medical and dental evaluation and develop a treatment plan. This is to make sure you do not have any health conditions that could make surgery inadvisable.
- Your first visit: oral exam, x-rays, and CBCT (3D x-ray) if needed.
- Your second visit: if adequate bone is present, implant surgery will be done under IV sedation for added comfort. The surgery takes anywhere between 30-90 minutes depending on complexity and the number of implants required.
- Your third visit: about 8-10 weeks after the implant is placed in your bone, the implant will be evaluated to ensure proper integration. An impression of the implant will be taken and sent to the dental laboratory for crown and abutment fabrication.
- Your fourth visit: the abutment will be inserted into the implant and a crown will be placed.
- Overall, it can take anywhere from 3-4 months from the moment of surgery to crown insertion. Sometimes longer healing time is necessary when bone grafting procedures or sinus lifts are done prior to or in conjunction with implant placement.
How can I request an appointment?
- Call SmileCrafters DentalTM at 905 648 0550 to find out how dental implants can dramatically improve your life and to book your FREE implant consultation.