What is a dental cleaning?
- Plaque and tartar builds up on teeth over time.
- If plaque and tartar are allowed to accumulate on teeth for an extended period, harmful bacteria can grow and cause damage to your gums, bone and teeth. In mild cases, this is called gingivitis.
- In moderate to severe cases of disease, this is called periodontitis.
- A professional cleaning removes the harmful plaque and bacteria before significant damage happens.
- Did you know that over 75% of Canadians suffer from periodontal (gum) disease? Most don’t even know it!
- If you have been diagnosed with gum disease, you can rest easy knowing that your SmileCrafters DentalTM team has extensive experience treating patients with periodontal disease.
What are the benefits of regular dental cleanings?
- Getting a dental cleaning helps remove plaque, tartar and bad bacteria from your teeth and gums.
- Root planning helps clean and smooth the tooth root, prevents bacteria from attaching, and allows your gums to reattach to the clean roots.
- Dental cleanings can lower your risk of strokes and heart attacks.
- If your gum disease is caught early (when it is gingivitis), you may only need a professional cleaning.
- If your gum disease is caught at later stages (mild periodontitis), you may need more advanced treatment. Depending on the severity of your disease, you may require scaling and root planning (done under local anesthesia).
- In more advanced disease stages, pocket reduction surgery may be required.
How can I request an appointment?
- Call SmileCrafters DentalTM at 905 648 0550 to schedule your regular dental cleaning appointment.